Saturday, February 10, 2007

me being dragon

my english teacher made us do a free write...
but she told us what to write.
"If you were to live your life as an animal, what would it be?"
she says.
well, if that's what she wants,
this is what i've got:


I rise above the clouds with my mighty wings. My ruby scales glint under the morning sun like embers, reflecting little rainbows into the sky. The wind is strong against my face as I weave through the feathery wisps of white above the vast sea of green. My strong tail whips along as I gracefully soar through the heavens. Today is the day I feast and I am starving. I start by scanning the vast sea of green for signs of little heat, of little pattering feet amongst the fallen leaves, for my meal though delicious is small. I have no ordinary eyes for my emerald green eyes are sharper than that of the blade of a king’s sword, sharper than that of the greatest eagle’s eyes. My vision is clearer than the most prized crystal. I need not scour the grounds up close for I can magnify anything I wish. But I am wise, and I know that vision is not enough. I attune my sensitive ears to the squeaking of my meal and my nostrils to its distinct scent. I could use my magic, but hunting this way is much more fun… There! There it is! A family of sweet looking field mice is traversing through the golden patties. Without hesitation, I dive. I dive headlong into the waves of gold, my talons glinting in the sun, ready to strike. I am starving, and I am ready to have my meal. I give out an earsplitting shriek of delight and in a fraction of a second I have my prey. Effortless…simply effortless. My victim tries to wriggle free from my clasp, but to no avail. I levitate into the sky once more, bringing my meal with me. As I reach the clouds, I toss the little things into the air and snap them into my mouth. Scrumptious little things…I take them in with just one gulp. And I am satisfied. I turn to continue soaring through the clouds, my massive ruby wings beating the wind. The afternoon air is cool on my face and I feel it slip through back to the very tip of my tail. I let out a powerful breath of fire as I see the setting sun. The sun is my strength and I gratefully pay homage. Alas it is time for me to retire, and I return to my beautiful lair at the peak of the most majestic mountain. I have the most breathtaking cave in the whole of this land. It is studded with gems of all kinds…diamonds glisten on the walls while opals hang from the ceiling and towers of rubies and topaz rise from the ground. The sound of falling water resonates all throughout my cave for within it runs the clearest healing waterfall. I take my place by the waterfall and its cooling mist rejuvenates my magnificence.

her comment: "Are you a fabulosa & grandiosa dragon?"
my answer? Yes, oh, yes i am.

No comments: