Saturday, October 20, 2012

What Makes Life Worth It

My baby is finally home.

On August 31, the day of our fund raising concert, our little Mikael was finally released from the hospital. By then, his hospital bill and doctors' fees totaled seven hundred twelve thousand, two hundred thirteen pesos (Php712,213.00) --- practically a million already! But by God's grace and by His perfect timing, we were able to pay our bill and clear our debts within days of his release.

I say "debts" because Mikael had a total of nine doctors for the duration of his 33 day stay in SLMC. Four of them had really (really really) big professional fees that did not fit within our budget at the time of his release. We signed promissory notes that Friday afternoon just so we could be free of the confinement. It was a stressful, physically tiring and emotionally draining day for me. But I'm just happy that my baby is finally home. For the complete story on how we were able to pull it off, read it here on my mom's blog. THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE WHO HELPED MY LITTLE ONE GET HOME.

One month and a half since his release, we're both still adjusting to each other. I'm learning how to become a mom --- losing sleep, changing diapers, not knowing what to do when he just won't stop crying even if you've tried everything. It's difficult, yes. But I think (and I pray that) I'm getting a hang of it. I applaud all mothers, especially those who have more that just one babe. One is already a challenge, what more nine?

This is my last week of maternity leave. I have to go back to work. Good thing I've finally found a nanny. Bottle training him has been difficult, especially since he's so used to breastfeeding. His loud cries rip my heart apart, so much that I just don't want to go back to work if it means he won't have to cry the way he does. But I know he has to learn. Hopefully he gets a hang of it soon (Dear Lord, please help him).

Each day is a challenge. Each day (and night) is a learning experience. Every day is worth it.

The little miracle is the joy of my life.

No comments: