Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Avengers assemble!

Couldn't help but post this. Too cute!
Courage, Honor, Loyalty, Sacrifice. You're braver than you think.
- Captain America: The Chosen

On Superheroes & Superpowers

When you're young, it's easy to pretend that you are a super hero. Tie a towel or blanket around your neck and you've got something on your back as a cape. Add some swimming goggles or shades for head gear and brandish anything phallic or similar to a sword... voila, a superhero!

As a child, I would know no boundaries in the powers that I could posses. I think my favorite was playing invisible, although Matilda made me try telekinesis. Back then, nothing seemed impossible. Nothing was too great to conquer. Everything was beautiful, bright, vibrant. Well, this is how I would want to remember it, though I'm pretty sure things got gloomy from time to time. Every superhero has a bad day.

Superpowers were relegated to neon particle beams and sparkling light waves, just like the ones we would see on television. We'd have to be in costume like Superman, and even though we wear no masks, nobody would know our true identity. We'd be playing hide and seek, and in my mind's eye, I'd be invisible. True enough, the it wouldn't find me. Today, I find myself wishing that I had the power to control time. Looking on ahead with these last few weeks of college, my calendar is riddled with deadlines that I'm trying my best not to panic. Seriously, it's scary. But no matter how hard I try to stop time, it just goes on straight ahead, ticking away!

In this day and age, superpowers no longer belong to the era of light beams and paranormal happenings. They now belong to what we can call tantalizing time management skills, bombastic work-life balance, wondrous wallet pinching, happy soul helping, super stunning smile... you get the picture. We have the "supermoms" and the "quatrokids" (in my university, 4 is the highest grade possible, hence the quatro) and the special individuals who make incredible differences in people's lives - yours and mine. From the pages of comic books and the screens of televisions, we have brought to real life these superheroes. They're in our homes, on our streets, and within our company.

No doubt, I have my parents as my superheroes. Despite all hardships in the world, they have made it possible for our family to live and be happy. They're making it work. They're making it possible. And with these gifts, they definitely have bestowed upon us siblings the power to be who we really want to be. And of course, there's that occasional special someone who'd give me my much needed energy boost to get through these stressful days (winkwink).

I'd like to think that we've all got it in ourselves to be superheroes.
We just have to find it within ourselves to take up our own respective superpowers.

1 comment:

K-Kix said...

I kind of like to akin ourselves to The Incredibles :)

thanks dear...pls. know that Dad and I are very proud of you and think that you are WONDER Woman este wonderful!!!