Monday, June 4, 2012

Soupscapades

It has been rainy this past week. Evidence that summer has ended here in the Philippines and that the rainy season is just about kicking in. Add to that the pretty much bipolar weather we experienced this month of May --- hot and steaming in the morning then wet and sticky in the afternoon/evening.

Rainy nights call for cozy evenings in my books, and that can easily be translated into warm heart-filling soup. Easiest to prepare for me is tomato soup. It could easily be my favorite too! I searched for a couple of recipes on the net just to get an idea of how to make soup (just Google "easy tomato soup recipe"), then decided to do a mix-up of a couple of them to suit my means. The procedure is pretty simple actually, especially if you're not too picky about how the soup ends up looking. Just plunk all the ingredients in a blender to mash them up real good then transfer the mush into a pot. Heat up. Add cream or milk. Then put in a dash of salt, pepper and sugar to taste.

We've been having this soup for dinner with a toasted cheese or what-have-you sandwich. Always such a good way to end a day.

P.S. The photo above exhibits my first try at tomato soup. I practically followed a recipe to the T so it ended up nicely red and blended. After this though, I realized that the recipe instructions included excess work that I could make do without. I modified a few things. Succeeding soups did not look as pretty as the one above but they were delicious just the same. The sandwich is a cheese and beef BBQ sandwich.

No comments: