Saturday, November 29, 2008

Dichotomies

It's very unnerving how some things can be the complete opposite of another. Last night, I went out with my friends to go dancing. Feeling good and looking good, we headed out into the night and had a blast moving to the music. It was a really fun experience and a great form of release for the stress and emotional imbalance I've been feeling. I was happy last night, and was glad to be out... but I was unaware of what was happening across the globe.

This morning, I found out that my boyfriend's grandma passed away on Thanksgiving day. Someone I care about really deeply was in pain and shock while I was dancing the night away... that's just... that kind of feels really wrong. And I'm feeling a pang of guilt. I wish I was there to comfort him. I can't forget what Rick told me though, this is what his father said: it was a day of thanksgiving and a day to be thankful for her life and to celebrate it rather than mourn her death. I couldn't help but nod in agreement. This is definitely a very beautiful way to look at his grandma's death. I wouldn't want it any other way.

There are a lot of things to be thankful in this life, mostly things that we tend to take for granted. Therefore, I think thanksgiving shouldn't be just on one day where the turkey is brought out and families come together... thanksgiving should be everyday. A daily celebration of even the tiniest things that usually go unnoticed.

I'm thankful for you, you, and you -- all those I love and are close to my heart. Know that I am grateful and happy to have all of you be a part of my life.

And here I was feeling lonely when I'm not alone at all.

2 comments:

Wanderer said...

You are not alone of course...and have a HUGE support system...!!!!

Ron Davison said...

Woody Allen says that he can never enjoy a meal when he knows that someone somewhere is starving. Moments bring with them enough. I think that the technology we have today can overextend our emotional range - making us aware of someone somewhere who is grieving or celebrating without us. It's enough to be in our moment. That's enough life right there.