
I take pride in my biking to school everyday. It's kind of great knowing that only a few can do what I can do. I remember one of my classmates telling me that I'm different (of course in a good way) -
"Iba ka ha, iba ka talaga!" - once he found out that I bike to school. And when I see someone in school biking, especially if he's a student (I haven't seen any female students biking around), I feel as if we share something... some common bond because of our bikes. It's cool. Way cool. :)
But biking in a country like ours is not a

lways a nice experience. You get to school all sweaty sticky and wet, with the smell of smog in your hair and a layer of street dust on your face. I especially hate it when it rains. There will be mud puddles everywhere plus overflowing canal water on the road banks, and a raincoat that makes me sweat like a faucet. Not to mention those reckless drivers who don't give a damn about cyclists and the craziness of Katipunan avenue. We don't even have functional bike lanes!
One advantage I have though is that I get to skip out on all that traffic. Oh, and I get lots of exercise! My bike also helps me get through my Bellarmine-CTC 5 minute mad dash every MWF. He helps me save my allowance because I don't have to take the tricycle anymore
and also acts as a locker for my school stuff. Best thing though is that I save on gas
and I lessen the combustion toxins in the atmosphere!
HOORAY FOR MOTHER EARTH! I think this is my strongest drive in continuing to bike everyday. At some point, if everyone decides to take on bikes, the air will definitely be much much cleaner. I'll be breathing it in rather than holding in my breath while on the streets! Those smoke belchers are annoying.
I just wish that the school would provide better bike parking areas. Places

that are not exposed to the harsh elements of nature. My favorite bike parking area is exposed and without a roof so when it rains, it gets rained on. :( I have to move my bike and park it at some other place which is not really a designated bike parking area. I should really make a letter for this bike-parking-sheds request I have in my head. Anyway, seeing a lot of bikes parked at "my fave spot" (first photo) made my day. It's nice to know that more and more people are getting into the bike revolution. Hey, gas prices are flying up! And the world is about to melt!
So Go Pick Up A Bike And Start Pedaling!
~*~
Because global warming is so uncool.
5 comments:
i wish i was allowed to bike to school. :(
however, biking from san juan, is a problem, i'll be dead in ortigas ave. also, if there were bike lanes around (like those in marikina), life would be better. for me at least.
oh yeah, that's another thing! Imagine if we had bike lanes everywhere... functional and respected bike lanes. OH I AGREE LIFE WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER.
If I lived in san juan, I wouldn't want to be biking to school either, at this point. MUST HAVE SAFER STREETS!
I walk but in a more "non-traditional" transportation area!
Go Aneka Go!
You are a very good example to the rest of the school population as you embody true stewardship for the environment.
Hope more people are inspired by you.
Dad and I are also very proud of you.
we have bike stands in school! cool nga sila eh! may fish bone, or carabao ... one org kasi started the project where they would lend bikes to student for 500 pesos a sem. cool diba?
i miss you sister!!!
Post a Comment