Signs were telling me yesterday that someone had lost his life. First a blog entry from Petra, and next a blog entry by Lars. The details were there: 3rd year EU major, sanggu member, all-star, the name Gab... I thought to myself, another one again? Just how many Ateneans are going to go this year? But never did it dawn on me that it was someone I knew. Someone I actually personally knew and talked to. That just makes such a big difference.
I was not familiar with your course, but you must've mentioned it once or twice in one of our morning cafeteria chats in the past school year. We didn't know each other on such a level that I knew what your hobbies were or whatnot, I didn't even know your last name. But to me, you were (and still are) somebody more than just a face. You were the boy I met in my first high school soiree, the one I talked to for practically the whole night. (I distinctly remember you telling time through military lingo -- 18 hundred hours whatever.) In my head you fell under "geek with character," -- this is a good thing -- and never did forget your name. See, that's a feat for me, since I'm so bad with names.
I can't believe it's you. I can't believe it took me so long to get that it was you. I didn't want to believe until I saw you with my own two eyes. You were always smiling when I'd see you. You'd wave hello with a smile and make me smile back too, no matter how bad my day was going. I would never suspect you, of all people, to go before their time. I still don't get it.
I always felt that you were somebody blessed with the power to make his dreams come true. I hope something you dreamed of did come true, because you had so much more going for you.
Gab, I'll be missing you. We'll be missing you. I hope you're happy and peaceful up there.
No comments:
Post a Comment